Monday, July 7, 2014

The Nameless Tomb

(Click to enlarge)
The tomb sits oddly and certainly out of place between the trees in the Qattenhal forest. For centuries, two important questions have remained about the structure; who was it built by and who was it built for? I believe I've found the answer to the first question.

Many centuries ago, on the island-state of Lyonesse, the nobles rebelled against the clerics of the Morganic faith. Pushed to the southwestern edge of the island and very near defeat, Duke John of Malregard swiftly constructed a fleet of boats, gathered the last of his traditionalist faithful, and set sail for mainland Agon.

Upon his arrival to the mainland, and through many swift victories over the native Imric people, Duke John of Malregard established what is still the main human city of Sanguine. It was not until decades later that Duke John discovered through cultist interrogations that he was followed to the main continent by Malaut, the Demon Prince of greed.

The above has been well documented in the Sanguine library and anyone capable of comprehension knows these stories well. It is also known to anyone aware of the dangers that daily threaten Sanguine and her satellite cities that Malaut is an ever-present shadow looming over her walls. However, it is within these histories and realities, mingled with research of my own, that I've concluded that some minion of Malaut must be the architect of this tomb.

I've been to this tomb several times, always at dawn, and I've noticed a few very curious things about it. Upon multiple inspections, I know that there is no name written upon this tomb. In fact, it cannot be verified from any source available to me if a body even lies within the tomb. I've seen, too, bloodied gold and jewelry scattered about the base of the tomb, and bloody hand prints painted on the cement. All that I've written thus far is simple fact, but now I will explain my theory of this structure.

I believe the structure was built by one of Malaut's cunning Lieutenants of the Below named Ul'din. This particular lesser demon has a reputation among Mercian scholars for using the lust and avarice of man against himself in order to defeat him wholly. I don't believe a body lies within the tomb, but instead riches meant to lure men to it. Ul'din wishes to use the avarice of man to tempt us into the domain of Malaut, and convince us all that we are not above the very thing we seek to destroy.

Ul'din is a demon of dusk. I have only ever gone to this tomb at dawn for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment